The great thing about a walk is that you probably have everything you need: shoes, clothes, a good attitude. Some people like to listen to music as they walk, but we think it’s a great time to check in with yourself and listen to your thoughts. Try to push them aside and have some moments of quite. Use this time to gain clarity for your day ahead. Some people consider this like walking meditation.
Getting your walk done in the morning actually increases your metabolism straight away so that you are burning more calories all day long. Other benefits of a morning walk:
- Strengthens your heart
- Reduces blood pressure and the risk of stroke
- Delays or prevents other major illnesses
- Improves flexibility
- Strengthens joints and bones
- Improves muscular strength
- Helps control weight
- Improves self-esteem and self-confidence
- Contributes to a better night sleep
- Improves balance and circulation
- Helps stabilize moods and energy levels
- Boosts immune system
If you are not a morning person this may seem daunting. But stay tuned next week for some advice on how to give up your night owl habits and become more of a morning person. Going for a quick walk is a sure way to get started in that direction. Good luck! Let us know how you feel.